Emmaville Mining Museum
Emmaville Mining Museum Gemfest & Swap
Due to lack of suitable field trip venues, health issues and lack of people power, we have decided not to continue with our annual Gemfest & Swap meetings. We apologise for the decision but should the situation change then we will advertise it on this site.
Emmaville Mining Museum opened on the 26th June 1999.
The Museum started as the dream of Mr. & Mrs. Jack Curnow who had the
bakery in Emmaville, which closed in 1969. After the closure they used
the shop as a small museum for their collection of minerals and photographs.
The collection of Mr. & Mrs Curnow was bequeathed to the community of
Emmaville with the hope that the town could start a museum.
With the help of the Severn Shire Council a band of volunteers got together
and started things rolling. The Severn Shire purchased the old Foley’s
Store in Emmaville and the volunteers began remodelling the building to
house the Curnow collection. The Museum now houses many other collections
of minerals, in addition to over 200 photographs, some of which date as
far back as 1893. The photographs are of mines and the people who worked
Tin was first discovered at Vegetable Creek in 1872, which started an
influx of people to the town. It was estimated that in the early 1900s
the population was around 7,000, including 2000 Chinese people, who formed
a large part of the mining community. In 1872 the name of the town was
changed to Emmaville in honour of the, then, Governor General’s wife,
Lady Augustus Loftus, whose Christian name was Emma. silver prices today
Please browse our site and learn more about the museum...